(Please note this is a “work in progress” list being compiled by the society and any comments, amendments or additions” to this list are welcome. Please comment at the end of the page or contact us if you have further information to contribute).
1852 Mail was delivered weekly to the area by packhorse from Hamilton, then known as the Grange.
1857 First settlers, predominantly English, Scottish and Irish built homes in the area now known as Edenhope.
1858 Cobb & Co first passenger to Edenhope
1861 Pastoral & Agricultural Society was formed in Apsley and moved to Edenhope in 1876.
1862 Survey of Edenhope township completed by surveyor G.W. Langford & gazetted 8th January .
1863 First sale of town allotments. The upset price was $16 per acre or $8 per ½ acre.1863 Common School opened by a Mr. Baker – weekly fee of 6pence per child.
1864 Population of Edenhope & District estimated at 120 people.
1864 Church of England Parsonage built.
1868 Catfish, blackfish and eel released into Lake Wallace by William Hayman.
1868 Rival school opened by a Mr. McLeod.
1868 Presbyterian Church opened in Elizabeth Street, 21st September.
1868 1st Catholic church erected (then part of Harrow Parish)
1869 First regatta held on Lake Wallace.
1873 Mr. McLeod’s school becomes Edenhope State School No 817.
1875 Dr. McCausland of Edenhope appointed as one of the Shire’s Health Officers.
1878 Shire Council released Perch fish in Lake Wallace.
1882 Mechanics Institute was built.
1885 Police Station and Post Office built in Edenhope.
1894 First earthen courts were scraped for tennis on the foreshore.
1905 A by-law passed by Council regulating the control of motor traffic speed through the shire towns. The limits were 8mph in town and 15mph in the country.
1913 Bush Nursing Centre opened.
1922 Soldiers’ War Memorial unveiled, corner Elizabeth & Anne Streets.
1922 Avenue of Elm Trees planted from War Memorial to Lake Street.
1927 Golf Course pegged out in virgin scrub. The late Jack West fenced it.
1930 Race Course established on its new site; now “The Bush Flemington.”
1931 First Race meeting on new course.
1930 Bush Nursing Hospital erected….check 1932
1932 New Presbyterian Church opened 10th December.
1934 240-volt direct current electricity was provided to a small portion of town’s folk.
Alf & Rupe Bird used a diesel engine to provide the service from the site of the former CBA Bank, now the Bendigo Bank. It operated for limited hours from dark until midnight with an hour ironing time on Tuesday afternoons.
1936 Presbyterian Manse was built ….
1945 New toilet block built on foreshore. Grant provided by the Public Works Department.
1946 First secondary classes established at The Show Pavillion.
1947 Water reticulation provided for the town from Lake Wallace.
1948 Edenhope High School opened on land provided by E.J. Cranage. Former army huts were used as temporary classrooms. Head teacher: Mr. Phil Downes.
1950 St. Malachy’s Parish of Edenhope formed – Fr. Healy the priest.
195.. New hotel built in the early 50’s ……
1953 Edenhope Consolidated and Higher Elementary School opened.
1953 1954 Volunteer Ambulance service established.
1953 St. Malachy’s school and convent established. 8th January 1953 the Convent and the School was opened by Rev J P O’Collins, Bishop of Ballarat
1954 Robert Schultz took over the power supply and converted to alternate current, providing the whole town with continuous service.
1956 State School rooms moved to the lake site.
1958 Back to Edenhope centenary celebrations.
1959 School building became a High School.
1963 New Vicarage opened…..
1964 Original All Soul’s damaged by fire and later sold to Lutheran congregation.
1964 New District Hospital erected.
1964 State Electricity Commission bought the private power supply.
1965 New golf clubhouse erected.
1965 Lake Wallace overflows in September.
1966 All Soul’s Anglican Church and manse dedicated …
1966 First services held in Emmanuel Lutheran Church in Elizabeth Street. Pastor John Lloyd was the first minister.
1968 Meals -on-wheels service established.
1968 Presbyterian Manse replaced with a new brick building.
1970 Ambulance Station erected; fully manned.
1973 Lake Wallace overflows in October.
1973 Durong Tennis Club amalgamates with Edenhope Tennis Club; 6 new courts by the lake.
1974 Lake Wallace overflows in August.
1976 Centenary Pastoral & Agricultural Show held.
1977 Presbyterian Church became The Uniting Church.
1977 Sewerage system opened for Edenhope at a cost of $1.3million.
1981 (Major) …….Extensions to the hospital.
1981 Edenhope Racecourse bar/luncheon building erected.
1981 Lake Wallace overflows in August.
1981 New Catholic Church opened.
1984 Lake Wallace overflows in September.
1986 New football clubrooms erected.
1987 Lake Wallace overflows in August.
1988 Lake Wallace overflows in June
1990 Lawn Cemetery opens
1990 Football clubrooms extended to include netball facilities …. Edenhope and Apsley Football and Netball clubs amalgamate.
1990 Kowree Sports Centre, including swimming pool built for $670,000.
1991 Lake Wallace overflows in September.
1992 Lake Wallace overflows in October.
1994 Edenhope all weather Airstrip opened with illuminated strip; much used by Air-ambulance.
1994 Kowree Farm Tree Group planted trees along drain into back swamp.
1995 Water & Sewerage function taken over by Grampians Water.
1997 Water Treatment plant installed.
1997 Lakes Hostel erected on Hospital grounds.
1997 Elsie Bennett Community Centre erected beside the Hostel.
1999 Local resident Jim Greenhill wins $10 million in Tattslotto.
2000 Commonwealth Bank in Elizabeth Street closes.
2000 Edenhope & Apsley football clubs merge to form Edenhope/Apsley Football Club.
2001 Edenhope P-12 new College building opened for use; officially opened in 2004 when Stage 1 & Stage 2 both completed.
2001 Lake Wallace at its lowest level in living memory.
2002 Lake Wallace lower still – water approx 400metres from the end of the pier on April 12th.
2003 The BIG DRY photo taken on Lake Wallace.
2006 New tennis courts erected by the lake.
2006 Edenhope gets a new Police Station ……
2006 Baton Relay comes to Edenhope…..
2006 Edenhope gets a Fish from the Commonwealth Games
2006 Edenhope gets new Police Station
2006 Langkoop remembers with WW1 Plaque
2006 Dawnmock Cleaning Service celebrates 14 years.
2007 Plaque unveiling to commemorate Jallakin and Ozenkadnook State School sites.
2007 Visitor Information Centre celebrates 10th anniversary.
2012 The Edenhope Pastoral and Agricultural Society Inc. celebrate 150 year anniversary (17th November)